Friday, March 23, 2007

O.J. Mayo is my new favorite basketball player

Sure, Mayo may not have even finished high school yet but after reading this story in the New York Times I was feeling pretty good about him.
“O. J. wanted me to come here today,” the man told Floyd. “He wanted me to figure out who you are.”
“Why aren’t you at Arizona or Connecticut?” Floyd recalled asking.

The man explained that Mayo wanted to market himself before going to the N.B.A., and that Los Angeles would give him the best possible platform.

“Then why aren’t you at U.C.L.A.?” Floyd asked.

The man shook his head. U.C.L.A. had already won 11 national championships. It had already produced many N.B.A. stars. Mayo wanted to be a pioneer for a new era.

“Let me call him,” Floyd said.

The man shook his head again. “O. J. doesn’t give out his cell,” he said. “He’ll call you.”
...
Mayo’s mind was apparently made up. He was already looking ahead. “How many scholarships do we have for next year?” he asked.

Floyd stammered. “After this,” he said, “I guess we have three.”

Mayo went through the priority list in his mind. “Don’t worry about recruiting,” he said. “I’ll take care of it.”

Before Floyd hung up, he asked one more time for Mayo’s cellphone number. “No,” Mayo said. “I’ll call you.”

Then, I watched this video of O.J. Mayo's last high school game where he decides to go out in a blaze of self-congratulating glory.

Every time I watch it I crack up laughing. I mean, that's got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen on a basketball court, right? This kid thinks he rules the world and, well, I guess he's pretty much right. I mean, he tells the coach he doesn't give out his cell phone number and will take care of the recruiting and the coach says, ok. He makes the end of the game turn into a complete spectacle and his coach gives him a hug. Heck, they filmed the whole thing for a documentary on him and he's never even played a college game. What a perfect illustration of why so many athletes have the sense of entitlement they do.

Oh, and the band in the video is Explosions in the Sky who I totally wanted to see but I just found out their Lawrence show at the end of the month is already sold out. Bullshit.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

What a douche. I could almost accpet the dunk stunt, but the rest makes me want to vomit.

Expolosions in the Sky sold out in Lawrence? Are they playing in a garage? I know they are gathering a base with the whole release-a-new-"album"-every-5 months strategy, but, christ.

You have Mogwai's 'Mr. Beast?' Now there is a _real_ post-rock album.

2:13 PM  
Blogger erin said...

"O.J."? Why the quotes? Should be "J.C."...

I agree. What a douche.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

so PTI is on and tim floyd is being interviewed. tim is VEHEMENTLY defending the kid in every way. the interview is longest i've ever seen on PTI. it was so long that the next segment was entirely skipped and they went back to commercial after 30 seconds. that's how radical and strong tim's comments were.

tim casts the kid as a smart, driven young man. his actions are unique and new, but make complete sense when you look at his life. his single mom is poor and neither of them have time to deal with tons of recruiters and can't afford to pay for the cell minutes. he knows he is great and is looking to get paid as much as possible as soon as possible.

floyd goes on, saying he will be a great college player because he wants to win the national championship and is smart enough to know he needs to listen. tim specifically mentioned the youtube movie somewhere, too.

Tim raised some great points and brought a strong counter to the issue. But, uh, we've seen this many times before...I'm gonna go ahead and say I still think the kid is a douche. i hope he proves me wrong.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home