Sunday, April 22, 2007

Solid Birthday Weekend

I suppose if I ever thought about what I would be doing on this birthday it wouldn't be this so as the date has approached I've had mixed feelings. Birthdays are supposed to be fun but at the same time this one makes me feel really, really old. However, the weekend has turned out to be a blast.

On Friday I went to see the Royals play the Twins. Getting into the stadium was a fiasco that I don't want to go into here but basically I spent what seemed like the same number of years that constitute my age waiting in various lines until I finally got in the stadium. It was the third inning and the Royals were down by a run already but they played really well and the Twins made a couple of uncharateristic mistakes and KC won in front of a big crowd. I must be somewhat of a good luck charm because I've seen them beat a lot of teams that had records way better than they did for a lot of the times I've been there. So, David Glass, anytime you want to send some season tickets my way I'll be more than happy to accept them.

The best part of the evening was a Royals' win and the second best thing was that I get a dozen bagels from Panera because they had 13 hits and won.

Today I went to the KU Relays which were a good time but maybe a little bit of a letdown compared to what I was expecting. Last year they had Maurice Green and a few other big names that helped draw 20,000+. This year they were supposedly focusing on college teams but I felt that field was a little weak and I would guess the crowd was maybe half of last year's. What annoyed me the most was the fact that so many of the races were run with a typical Kansas spring gale force wind at their backs which led to a lot of really fast times but they constantly kept acting like those times were valid records. I mean, it seemed like every other race with the wind set some sort of record when I kept thinking there's no way this record would stand up at all if you took in consideration the wind. So, kind of a minor deal but annoying to me.

After that I went to see the Decemberists in KC, courtesy of a generous birthday gift by two of my friends. The show was fantastic.

It was my first time in the Uptown Theater in KC and I think it's probably one of the best venues I've ever been too. It's a little hard to describe because the theme was mostly Art Deco but with a little bit of a gothic feel to some of it because the detail was so amazing. What was great about it was the feeling of being in an historic theater but everything was in perfect condition. A lot of places have the feeling of being someplace old that is confirmed by carpet that hasn't been replaced since Roosevelt was wheeling around.

The opening band, My Brightest Diamond, did a good job for what they were asked to. Their lead singer had a voice that was sort of a cross between the singer in Frankenixon and Fiona Apple. People were a little skeptical going in but were digging it by the end.

The Decemberists came out to the Soviet national anthem, a move that didn't entirely make sense until I remembered that their name comes from a Russion revolt nearly 100 years before the Communist revolution. I guess.

But, they put on a FANTASTIC show. It was one of my favorite concerts I've been to and they really did a great job with their sound and playing to/with the crowd. If there was a complaint to be made I wish they would have played a more upbeat song for one of their encores. A couple of us really thought they were going to play "Sons and Daughters" but they played a Morrissey song and another slow, quiet one but that is really a minor thing and I couldn't have been happier with the show.

So, tomorrow (today) is my birthday and I still have some time to go but it's nice to think that I can still get out and enjoy the usual stuff despite the fact that I feel like my age is a lot older than what I feel like my "place in life" should be whatever that means.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home