Thursday, December 06, 2007

Now There's a Party in my Tummy! So Yummy! So Yummy!

Up until a little while ago I'm not even sure I knew that Nick Jr existed as a television network and now I really wish I had it and the only reason for that is Yo Gabba Gabba.

Yo Gabba Gabba is this completely amazing children's television show that is basically the exact opposite of everything we were bitching about in the Sesame Street post below. Picture the lessons and muppets of the original Sesame Street mixed with the insanity and inside jokes of Pee Wee's Playhouse. The show was created by hipster types who thought there's really no reason kids shows have to suck balls so they took out a bunch of money to create their own. I'm going to post a bunch of YouTube videos so watch what you want but I really recommend the vegetable one and maybe the "Pick it up" one at the end to get a good representation in case you don't want to waste all of your time watching them like I do.

It took a while for a studio to pick it up but they did and it's taken off since then. One of the creators is the lead singer for the Aquabats so they have used some of his contacts to have bands like the Aquabats, Shiny Toy Guns, and the Shins on an upcoming episode. Biz Markie teaches kids to beat box, Mark Mothersbaugh (of Devo and Wes Anderson films) teaches kids to draw, and Elijah Wood teaches kids to dance like a puppet.

Then there's the regular stuff like putting lessons for the kiddies to some nice hip hop beats. Carrots and green beans are sad if they aren't invited to the party in your tummy.

They also bring in some indie animator types for Super Robot Martian Girl, Halloween type stuff, and this totally awesome piece about the importance of keeping your room set to a great ska track.

Anyway, I'm just really happy that people are attempting to expose kids to good television and especially that they're doing it with good music and all of the best creative types. I can only assume that shitty kids music leads to shitty adult tastes in most kids.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger rcombs said...

Benjamin- thank you so much for this post. It's my first-ever exposure to this show, and it is AWESOME! I watched all the videos and I think the one about the veggies and the tummy party is the best. I can't believe there are still cool kids shows. I actually thought all the kids were just watching Billy Ray Cyrus, Jr.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home