Friday, June 27, 2008

WTF NC?

Thanks to one of my legion of tipsters I received a link to this article detailing a controversy over North Carolina license plates in my inbox today.
RALEIGH -- Thanks to some text message-savvy grandchildren, North Carolina drivers whose license plates have the potentially offensive "WTF" letter combination can replace the tags for free.

Officials learned last year the common acronym stands for a vulgar phrase in e-mail and cell phone text messages.

The DMV recently realized the same letters appeared on the sample license plate on its own Web site. Officials are trying to remove the plate from the site.

DMV officials got word of the plates last July when a 60-year-old technology teacher from Fayetteville complained about the plate after her teenage grandchildren clued her in.

DMV officials said they try to keep up with the latest acronyms, and that anyone who has an issue with their plate can contact their local DMV office to request a new one.

Way to stay on top of those "latest acronyms, DMV. I can see that you're really on top of things because I'm pretty sure that just came out this year sometime. Personally I'm wondering if they would replace my license plate for free just because I want one. I can absolutely picture the scene of the grandkids laughing at the plate and then being forced to tell their grandparents what it meant because something similar happened to me once.

For my birthday one year my friend Bennett gave me a car air freshener tag like this one:

I had pretty much gotten used to it and didn't think anything about it until one day I was parked next to a middle-aged couple I knew from church. I'm pulling out of my spot when I see the woman waving frantically at me. I roll down my window and she asks, "what does your thing on the mirror mean?"
I kind of laugh and say, "well, I don't know if I should say it. It's kind of naughty."
"Oh, come on, tell me."
"Umm..."
Then here husband pipes up loudly "it means what the fuck!"
She had a moment of surprise and looks at me. I nod my head and laugh then she kind of laughed it off too but I was worried for a moment that I was going to have to drop an F bomb in front of these people I barely knew.

But, seriously, WTF is up with this? The news channel that brought us this story was helpful enough to supply a classic photo slideshow of 20 internet acronyms every parent should know. It starts off with "POS" which always meant "piece of shit" back in my day but apparently I'm already clueless in the ways of our youth because they claim it means "parents over shoulder." The first half of the list is basically some variation of that but then it gets into stuff like LMIRL (Let's meet in real life!), TD2M (Talk dirty to me!), IWSN (I want sex now!), GYPO (Get your pants off!), and my all time favorite NALOPKT (Not a lot of people know this!). Good grief. It's sort of depressing to think that someday I might have kids and end up being this clueless about them that I'd take something like this list seriously and think "Uh oh, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for these..."

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger erin said...

O.M.G., ben, R.U.F.K.M.?! I.H.N.I. the D.M.V. was S.F.R.! O.W., J.G.T.S. that O.P.A.A.A.W.B. losers!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

Dammit. I don't think any of those were on the list of internet acronyms I should know...

12:49 PM  
Blogger erin said...

i already forgot what some of them stand for...humpf.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home