Monday, January 19, 2009

24.5 Hours

It's sort of embarrassing how happy I am that Bush is finally leaving forever. I'm almost giddy and feel that a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. We've been saddle with this loser for eight years, I guess I'm just ready for something else. Anything else.

We had a "Bush is Gone" party last night which led to a lot of discussions about whether he was evil or just dumb (conclusion: both), our "favorite" moments, finding out our friends from high school were right-wing extremists, and where we were in our lives eight years ago. It was a very therapeutic environment. Now I've spent the morning watching videos of the inauguration concert from yesterday. I loved Pete Seeger and Bruce Springsteen leading "This Land is Your Land" with the bonus "controversial" verses.
In the squares of the city
By the shadow of the steeple
By the relief office
I saw my people
As they stood hungry
I stood there whistling
Was this land made for you and me?

A great high wall there
That tried to stop me
A great big sign there
Said Private Property
But on the other side it didn't say nothing
That side was made for you and me

Nobody living
Can ever stop me
As I go walking
My Freedom Highway
Nobody living
Can make me turn back
He's just shy of 90 and can still belt it out. His "You sing it with us. We'll give you the words" cracks me up for some reason.

For as many problems as the country is facing now the optimism I feel is pretty amazing. Fortunately it seems to be a feeling felt by most of the country. Obama will inevitably disappoint me but right now I'm just going to enjoy the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home