Friday, January 09, 2009

Was I too hard on Tebow?

First, here is a link containing a video with a sampling of the effusive praise heaped upon Tebow's broad yet humble shoulders. A modern day Atlas some might say. Warning, it gets pretty graphic watching these two grown men slobber over a 21 year old.

So, I was starting to feel a little bad this morning because I thought that Tebow probably was a really great guy and had done all of these great things to help people and I shouldn't hate on someone if everyone else chooses to over hype his efforts. Then, however, I'm sitting in the barbershop and ESPN is running a little piece about how great he is. After debating whether to quickly puncture my ear drums I decided the more reasonable course would be to hear it out so that maybe I would respect him more after seeing some specific examples. Nope.

This great service he was performing involved heading to the Philippines during his spring break (with camera crew in tow...) and spending most of his time spreading the gospel with a little bit of helping involved. Then, it turns out that most of his actual help involved circumcising Phillipino boys! Uh, what? First, you're not a doctor. Second, why do they need to be circumcised to begin with? Turns out most of the world seems to get by just fine without getting their junk operated on by a Heisman trophy winner. Now, apparently this might be because some studies may have shown that circumcision might reduce chances of contracting AIDS. That kind of raises the question of what his religious group thinks about condoms which could be much more effective in that regard.

So, cut to his next act of charitable goodness and he's speaking a prison. "Who will join me up here and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior? Who will join me? Thanks you, brother."
Ugh. I guess I should be impressed that he's converting the heathen masses but from my perspective there are many other much more important things he could focus on that can have an affect on people's lives rather than altar calls and circumcisions. I'm sure he's involved in some of them as well but perhaps a little sanity is in order about what he's really doing. According to his dad's website here are their five priorities:
1. Evangelism
2. Church planting
3. Pastor Training
4. Orphanage
5. Training the next generation of evangelists (probably fits in nicely with #4)

If this is what he wants to do that's absolutely fine but those aren't my priorities and they aren't priorities for a lot of others whether they're Christians or not. I'm sure he's helped a lot of people but I honestly don't feel as bad for questioning a lot of the hero worship surrounding him.

/Asshole rant

2 Comments:

Blogger Shawn said...

Love the post, and love the hate. My favorite part, however is: "Then, however, I'm sitting in the barbershop and....." Oh, Basement. I feel like you will be the guy who goes to the barbershop twice a week when you're 60 just for the social opportunities and Tim Tebow talk. Blog on, MLITB.

12:31 PM  
Anonymous X. said...

Uh, no, you definitely were not too hard on Tebow. The guy's a jackass (as evidenced by the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty he received), which wouldn't be so bad on its own, but to have to listen to these idiots talk about him like he's God's gift and completely without fault is enough to make anyone want to punch him in the throat.

I read an article recently in which Tebow's response to a question about what makes him such a fantastically amazing person was, "The difference is 'cause not many people want to wake up at 5, go through workouts, go speak to young kids, go back, eat lunch, go to class, go to tutoring, go speak at a prison at night, come back. I mean, more people would do those things; they just don't want to sacrifice."

And he's right, you know? I mean, I'd definitely do more awesome stuff if only I were as great a person (not to mention as great a Christian) as Tim Tebow.

1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home