Saturday, January 09, 2010

Genres

For whatever reason I've been having a lot of talk about genres the last few days. For some reason people want to classify everything into a little box so they can deal with it or dismiss it or whatever but it's kind of getting out of control. So much so that the NY Times is talking about it and Hipster Runoff is making shirts about it.

So, I hear that dubcore is a big trend this year and I have no idea what that means. In the course of reading about genres I find crabcore which might be one of the worst genres ever and is based on breakdowns and hardcore and dancing like a crab and I'm not really sure what else defines it. Apparently it came from this video because they look like crabs when they play. Brutal.

Tonight I went to see a few bands from Omaha and one from Lawrence play at the Replay. They played what I would consider to be punk music but they all dressed like indie hipster kids. Is this perhaps a new genre? Indiepunk? I have no idea because it's too damn exhausting to try to keep track.

I don't really have a point to all this besides amusement about the whole thing. I guess I'm going to try to create a new genre that's way hipper than anything you listen to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home