Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Return of the Shrub

It appears that old George Bush, Jr. is prepared to emerge from whatever basement he's been drinking himself into oblivion for the last 2 years, err, eating pretzels but definitely not drinking. Eating pretzels? Nah, too chokey. Staring into space? Sure, we'll go with that.

Anyway, he first appeared at the World Series hamming it up with the team he used to own. In some ways it was a hopeful metaphor: The team that he ran into the ground was finally emerging from the shadow of his leadership to compete for a championship. It only took just slightly more than a decade for them to recover but I'm not sure how long that translates in Nation Years. Apparently, the voters of this country feel that 2 years of Democratic control was enough for them to fix it and have now chosen to give the Republicans another shot. Hey, anytime you have a chance to double-down on a collection of policies that have nearly ruined the country you have to do it, right?

So, apparently Bush has furrowed his brow and attempted a little introspection for the first time in his life in order to come up with a book about his presidency. What's that saying about a thousand chimps at a thousand typewriters? Inevitably this means we're going to see his smirking face everywhere we turn for the next few months. If we learned anything from the Bush years (and clearly most of the country didn't) it's that if you put this guy in front of a camera or pen and paper he's going to say something a) moronic, b) outrageously offensive, c) both. The gaffe tour is already beginning as news leaked of what he considers the worst moment of his presidency. September 11? You kidding me? Gold mine. Realizing he started a war based on fraudulent and faulty intelligence? Of course not. Watching New Orleans drown? Getting closer. It was when Kanye said he didn't care about black people.

“He called me a racist,” Bush tells Lauer. “And I didn’t appreciate it then. I don’t appreciate it now. It’s one thing to say, ‘I don’t appreciate the way he’s handled his business.’ It’s another thing to say, ‘This man’s a racist.’ I resent it, it’s not true.”

Lauer quotes from Bush’s new book: “Five years later I can barely write those words without feeling disgust.” Lauer adds, “You go on: ‘I faced a lot of criticism as president. I didn’t like hearing people claim that I lied about Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction or cut taxes to benefit the rich. But the suggestion that I was racist because of the response to Katrina represented an all-time low.’

President Bush responds: “Yeah. I still feel that way as you read those words. I felt ‘em when I heard ‘em, felt ‘em when I wrote ‘em, and I felt ‘em when I’m listening to ‘em.

Lauer: “You say you told Laura at the time it was the worst moment of your presidency?”

Bush: “Yes. My record was strong, I felt, when it came to race relations and giving people a chance. And it was a disgusting moment.”

Lauer: “I wonder if some people are going to read that, now that you’ve written it, and they might give you some heat for that. And the reason is this — “

Bush [interrupting]: “Don’t care.”

Lauer: “Well, here’s the reason. You’re not saying that the worst moment in your presidency was watching the misery in Louisiana. You’re saying it was when someone insulted you because of that.”

Bush: “No, and I also make it clear that the misery in Louisiana affected me deeply as well. There’s a lot of tough moments in the book. And it was a disgusting moment, pure and simple.”
Did you catch that? All of his worst moments were about people criticizing him!!!! It's all about him! Not about all the shitty stuff that he did...just that people called him out on it! This man is insane, scary, pathological, clueless, etc.

But, seriously, the line about how he didn't like it when people said he cut taxes to benefit the rich? That's satire, right? I mean, he's not that clueless. Err...

Anyway, I'm going to try to avoid this asshole as much as I can but I know he's going to keep popping up with shit like this that sends me over the edge. But, hey, let's elect even crazier and dumber Republicans because that'll fix this mess that was entirely Obama's fault!

On a related note here is a great, short piece on the Teabagger's anger showing up now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home