Saturday, December 11, 2010

Cyclone basketball

I'll give a quick shoutout to the Iowa State basketball team after their 75-72 road win over Iowa tonight. I ended up watching all but the first 10 minutes of the game which was the first time I'd seen them play this year. I didn't recognize half of the players and they looked absolutely brutal at times (more like a junior high team sometimes) but they actually made some plays and won the game to go to 8-2 on the year. The Big 12 season is going to be rough but I like the style of basketball they play and they play hard even though they have a ton of holes.

It would be easy to pick on all of the things that left me shaking my head in disgust but I had already decided this was essentially a throwaway season with the way things shook out and, yet, here they are blowing out the teams they should and keeping things close in the ones they've lost.

And as a sidenote the Register ran a single quote for each game of the series since 1984. There were some funny ones in there and I enjoyed thinking back to all of the games I watched. Unfortunately they missed one of the best when Eustachy, speaking of Carver, said something like, "God, I hate this place. I just want to throw up." So, true. It's such a worthless basketball venue yet ISU seems to struggle there in recent years. I laughed when there was actually discussion on whether Iowa's students would show up because they weren't giving them free pizza this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home